FPC of Decatur
Position: HSE Specialist
Direct Reports: Individual contributor
Reports To: Plant Manager
Salary Range: $80k to $90k DOE
Job Responsibilities: The HSE Specialist is responsible for directing the development, implementation, and evaluation of critical HSA processes, programs, and procedures to achieve goals, objectives, and continuous improvement related to safety, the environment and health at the plant. The HSE Specialist has the responsibility to engage the plant leadership teams to ensure environmental, safety and health excellence, as well as provide information and guidance for activities relating to the site wide HSE objectives and to ensure that HSE site goals are aligned with relevant division and corporate HSE goals. The HSE Specialist works in a team environment where accountability for injury/illness prevention, HSE compliance assurance and asset protection is incumbent on both the leadership team and the individual.
- Develop, operate, enhance, and maintain the environmental, health and safety management systems for the site in accordance with all governing regulatory agencies and corporate guidelines.
- Ensuring all safety training is completed and documented each month working closely with the supervisors and department managers.
- Implement all corporate safety standards/expectations and facilitate site-specific health and safety management systems designed to reduce employee injuries and illnesses.
- Ensure that occupational illnesses and injuries are immediately reported, thoroughly investigated and promptly addressed, consistent with corporate and site standards.
- Represent the site by actively participating in corporate HSE networks. Ensures site is informed of any changes or initiatives required by corporate HSE.
- Participate in the site capital planning including HSE review of capital projects, safety design reviews and environmental (New Source Review) evaluations of process/equipment changes at the site.
- Oversee contractors and activities during on-site projects to ensure compliance with OSHA regulations in additions to all site health and safety requirements.
- Ensures all weekly and monthly required safety checks are completed on time, i.e., eyewash stations, showers, etc.
- Review HSE related KPI’s in order to target areas of improvement.
- Liaise with the plant staff on health, safety, and environmental issues.
- Assure compliance with site regulatory environmental permits (recordkeeping, reporting, permitting and renewal).
- Implement wellness programs to meet site needs.
- Actively participates as a member of the plant leadership team.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering, Occupational Safety & Health, Industrial Hygiene or other closely related degree required.
- 5 + years of experience in the EHS areas at the plant level. Prior EHS experience in an industrial manufacturing environment.
- Applied knowledge of environmental, health and safety laws and regulations.
- Certifications in environmental, health, and/or safety (i.e., ASP, CSP, CHMM, etc.).
- Ability and experience creating HSE programs/documentation with a greenfield or brownfield plant.
- Experience with a safe plant start-up.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Strong team player. Proven time management skills.
- Independent worker requiring minimal day-to-day direction or oversight. Ability to establish priorities and work effectively in a team environment.
- Excellent written, verbal and computer skills (MS Office, SharePoint, etc.).