Director of Engineering & Service
Director of Engineering & Service
FPC of Brighton
Director of Engineering and Service
The Director, Platform Engineering and Service is strategic and tactical leader responsible for building strong customer relationships, achieving excellent customer satisfaction levels, and growth of the Energy Storage Systems customer service portfolio. This role requires a high level of initiative, self-motivation, engagement with customers and internal stakeholders, aiming for 100% customer satisfaction. This position is responsible for leading and developing the team and continuously enhancing its performance.
The Platform Engineering team provides sustaining engineering for released products and creates data driven results and improvements to affect delivered quality by providing engineering resolution of factory issues and field failures. This team provides customers with permanent corrective actions which are then incorporated into product development feedback and lessons learned.
The Service team provides customers with technical products and service support. This team puts people, process, and products in place to support customers. The Service team provides customer training, warranty support, contract services, performance assurance plan management, service spares, problem identification, tracking, and reporting, and escalation.
- Leadership & Continuous Improvement
1. Champion customer satisfaction.
2. Build strong customer relationships and represent the voice of the customer.
3. Take ownership of customers issues and follow problems through to resolution.
4. Handle complex and escalated customer service issues.
- Use data, customer insights and root cause analytics to address product and/or process improvements and present these to other departments and senior management.
- Build Strategic Partnerships
- Develop relationships with and negotiate contractual agreements with external service providers to support customer programs.
- Develop relationships with and negotiate contractual agreements with end-of-life service providers.
- Forecast headcount, workload and ensure team is staffed with skilled, passionate customer driven team members.
- Manage department financial goals, analyze variances, and initiate corrective actions.
- Platform Engineering
- Provide sustaining design engineering for existing products.
- Develop and maintain tools to measure and report delivered quality metrics.
- Improve manufacturing yield and achieve delivered quality targets.
- Improvements include changes to products and processes.
- Analyze field returns to identify root cause and corrective actions.
- Complete root cause analysis and corrective actions for product and process failures.
- Use documented data driven and structured problem-solving methods.
- Provide technical support for resolution of product issues in the field.
- Ensure customer satisfaction with product performance and field service activities.
- Assign and schedule regional Service Technicians.
- Prepare and approve quotations for field service activities.
- Review and approve field service reports; provide complete and professional documentation to customers.
- Responsible for after-hours and emergency 24/7 customer support.
- Warranty and support process warranty processes and tracking, including process flow diagrams, and system tools.
- Develop and maintain spare parts programs with cross-functional operations support.
- Customer Training Program
- Work with customers and stakeholders to identify training needs and develop robust and meaningful training programs.
- Prepare and present training at company and customer sites, industry events, and at new installations.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, engineering, or a related field.
- Demonstrated leadership and project management experience, including lean, six-sigma practices, and other related structured problem-solving practices.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience working in customer service.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience leading teams of skilled mechanical and electrical service technicians.
- Minimum of five (5) years of working with complex electro-mechanical systems required.
- Highly collaborative with a genuine passion for customer service.
- The ability to maintain calm under pressure.
- Excellent analytical, communication and presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills to work with team members on all levels of the organization.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Enjoys working with people and processes.
- Ability to work in a dynamic start-up environment where initiative and ownership is a must.
- Assertive, and willing to share their opinion.
- Ability to travel approximately 25% domestically and internationally.
- Influences Others: Has personal and organizational impact built on mutual trust, fairness, and honesty. Flexes their style to direct, collaborate, or empower, as the situation requires.
- Mission, Vision, Values, and Strategic Priorities Focused: Understands and actively supports the organization’s mission, vision, values, and strategic priorities.
- Leads Change: Persistently moves in the face of ambiguity, dilemmas, and resistance to get completion of changes in an organized way; adapts with flexibility to and copes with changing situations while maintaining focus on goals.
- Thinks Strategically: Acts with the long-term future in mind. Considers future impact when weighing decisions. Anticipates trends and future consequences.
- Takes Initiative: Exhibits strong drive for results and success; conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure; persists despite obstacles.
- Business Process Thinking: Designing, implementing, and executing business workflow activities that most effectively and efficiently meet the goals of the business unit and the company.
- Communications: Exchanges thoughts, feelings, and information effectively with diverse teams.
- Assertiveness: Maintaining a position when you know you are right; standing up to others and expressing views without fear or for approval and without engaging in unnecessary aggression.
- Decision Making & Analysis: Makes sound decisions based upon a mixture of data-driven analysis, expertise, experience, and judgment; collects relevant information, seeks input from others, and identifies connections and/or root causes of problems.