East Chicago, IN
FPC of Riverwood
Client Company is an asset-based freight, warehouse distribution, brokerage and leasing company celebrating over 100 years of family-owned transportation business experience. Client Company is a Midwest-based with satellite-tracked tractors and trailers, and logistical solutions that are economical, safe, and timely. Primarily a flatbed carrier, Client Company also brokers and stores freight, leases tractors and trailers, and provides contract maintenance services to serve our customers, drivers, and independent owner/operators.
The Terminal Director/Manager oversees all daily operations and activities of their terminal while maintaining and developing a qualified staff. The Manager will be responsible for leading, developing, and engaging a team of exceptional talent that makes innovation possible; one of the main focuses will be motivating, mentoring, and coaching your team to become the best leaders they can be. To achieve this, Terminal Managers are creative problem solvers who can operate in large scale, interpret big data, and deliver meaningful results that keenly drive productivity and efficiency. The Terminal Manager serves as the focal point for the Operations Department at their location.
This person is the front-line leader that guides, directs, and mentors our Drivers, Mechanics, Laborers, and Driver Managers. This role is responsible for the day-to-day management and accountability of operational excellence, ranging from driving metrics, assessing individual performance, and owning projects to drive the business. Additional duties and responsibilities will be assigned by the Operations Manager and Senior Leadership. This role will report directly to the Vice President of operations. Flexibility, ownership, and accountability will be integral in this role.
· Supporting all safety programs and OSHA compliance to ensure a safe work environment for all employees and staff.
· Leading and developing a team of 3 office staff personnel (dispatch, billing, admin), 25-26 percentage-based drivers/hourly drivers, 5-7 hourly mechanics, and 15-20 hourly tarpers by embodying Client Company's Core Values and Commitments.
· Acting as the primary information source for the team, maintaining compliance and consistency, and taking corrective action when needed.
· Developing and maintaining effective operations staff through selection, training, compensation, motivation, termination, and review.
· Creating, communicating, and maintaining quality control policies and standard work procedures to employees and staff.
· Proactively identifying and leading process improvement initiatives using Lean tools to delight customers.
· Building and delivering productivity plans by reviewing work forecasts, determining productivity requirements, and partnering with other Terminal Managers to balance labor.
· Evaluating performance objectives and metrics to determine operational productivity requirements to achieve customer time, accuracy, and quality expectations.
· Partnering with other managers to share best practices across shifts and the network.
· Working in a cooperative team like manner with other departments, and terminals in the field. Treat our internal customers with the same respect you give to our external customers. Assist them where required and return their phone calls or other communication in a timely manner.
· Monitoring tarping operation inventory levels; monitor fuel tank inventory and place orders as necessary; maintain petty cash and handle vendor payments.
· Overseeing maintenance department including labor management, inventory, cost control, productivity, and safety.
· Area Readiness and Organization: ensuring all areas of the terminal location meet organization requirements including interior and exterior areas. Maintenance shop, office space, and yard are orderly without miscellaneous scraps and debris. Determine when OOS assets need to be reallocated and ensure they are kept in organized condition if sitting in the yard.
· Assist recruiting in finding qualified drivers in the area, interviewing, road-testing, etc.
· Handling onboarding and training process after a driver leaves orientation.
· Assisting finance department in developing P&L goals and strive to meet daily revenue goals.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s Degree Logistics, Transportation, Supply Chain, or related field (preferred) and/or intimate working knowledge of the Transportation Industry
· Four plus years transportation management and/ or operations supervisor experience
· Knowledge of federal and state safety laws, DOT, FMCSR, and OSHA standards
· Strong Project Management Skills
· Excellent Interpersonal Skills
· Strong Attention to Detail with Strong Leadership Skills
· Turn Around Management Experience
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
- 401(k) with match
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Vision insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance