Kankakee, IL 60901
FPC of Decatur
Position: HSE Specialist
Direct Reports: Individual Contributor
Reports To: Plant Manager
Salary Range: $85k to $95k
Job Responsibilities: The Health Safety & Environmental Specialist is responsible for directing the development, implementation, and evaluation of critical HSE processes, programs, and procedures to achieve goals, objectives, and continuous improvement related to safety, the environment and health at the plant. The HSE Specialist has the responsibility to engage the plant leadership teams to ensure environmental, safety and health excellence, as well as provide information and guidance for activities relating to the site wide HSE objectives and to ensure that HSE site goals are aligned with relevant division and corporate HSE goals. The HSE Specialist works in a team environment where accountability for injury/illness prevention, HSE compliance assurance and asset protection is incumbent on both the leadership team and the individual.
- Implementing safe working techniques and reinforce the safety policies, guidelines and procedures as set out by company and all regulatory agencies. Provide daily guidance and direction in EHS programs.
- Actively coaching peers, salaried and hourly employees on expected and acceptable safety behaviors and activities on the shop floor to improve and attain a goal of zero incidents.
Providing advice, assist, and audit line management to ensure that EH&S policies and procedures are implemented and working as intended.
- Anticipating, identifying, evaluating and working to implement solutions to hazardous conditions and practices.
- Responsible for investigations of possible losses; evaluating the risk in such loss exposure; developing and implementing a plan to correct or prevent a loss and audit the plan to ensure its effectiveness. Focal point for Corporate H&S, Environmental, and Loss Prevention Audits.
- Responsible for preparing and maintaining all plant environmental and regulator records. Ensuring that reports are completed on time and ready for the Plant Manager’s review and signature.
- Responsible for ensuring the Plant Manager is immediately informed of any regulatory compliance issues with the Plant.
- Collaborating with Plant and Process Engineers to identify and track engineered safety solutions to eliminate unsafe conditions.
- Providing hands-on guidance to Plant leadership & Supervision regarding incident reporting/investigation program to ensure company standards and processes are met.
- Reviewing incidents to ensure Root Cause Analysis is completed to prevent reoccurrences and drive corrective actions through health checks.
- Bachelor's degree in Occupational Safety & Health, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or closely related degree required.
- 3 + years prior experience in a manufacturing facility working in an EHS role.
- CSP certification a major plus.
- Proven Leadership skills in a manufacturing environment.
- A team player who can lead by example and influence.
- Sound, Comprehensive knowledge of occupational health, and safety regulations.
- Detailed understanding of general industry standards and knowledge of basic health and safety concepts such as hazard & risk assessment, behavior based safety, machine / equipment safety etc.
- The ability to chair management/employee meetings and presentations.
- Above average communication skills to enable the transfer of clear and concise information at all levels of the organization.
- The ability to facilitate the process of learning amongst supervisors and the shop floor.