Hillsboro, TX 76645
FPC of Decatur
Position: HSE Specialist
Direct Reports: Individual Contributor
Reports To: Plant Manager
Salary Range: $85k to $100k
Job Responsibilities: The Health Safety & Environmental Specialist is responsible for the day-to-day implementation and continuous improvement of Health & Safety programs, and maintaining all State and Federal environmental programs and report requirements. The Health, Safety & Environmental Engineer position provides technical and professional support services to operations and reports directly to the local Plant Manager and functionally to the Director of Health, Safety & Environmental. This is an on the floor, high visibility position.
- This position will be responsible for the day-to-day implementation and continuous improvement of Health & Safety programs, and maintaining all State and Federal environmental programs and report requirements.
- The Health, Safety & Environmental Engineer position provides technical and professional support services to operations and reports directly to the local Plant Manager and functionally to the Director of Health, Safety & Environmental.
- Implement safe working techniques and reinforce the safety policies, guidelines and procedures as set out by IKO and all regulatory agencies.
- Provide daily guidance and direction in EHS programs.
- Team player able to build and maintain relationships, communicate and function well within his/her peer group.
- Actively coaches peers, salaried and hourly employees on expected and acceptable safety behaviors and activities on the shop floor to improve and attain a goal of zero incidents.
- Provide advice, assist, and audit line management to ensure that EH&S policies and procedures are implemented and working as intended.
- Anticipates, identifies, evaluates, and works to implement solutions to hazardous conditions and practices.
- Responsible for investigations of possible losses; evaluating the risk in such loss exposure; developing and implementing a plan to correct or prevent a loss and audit the plan to ensure its effectiveness.
- Focal point for Corporate H&S, Environmental, and Loss Prevention Audits.
- Responsible for preparing and maintaining all plant environmental and regulator records.
- Ensuring that reports are completed on time and ready for the Plant Manager’s review and signature.
- Responsible for ensuring that the Plant Manager is immediately informed of any regulatory compliance issues with the Plant.
- Collaborates with Plant and Process Engineers to identify and track engineered safety solutions to eliminate unsafe conditions.
- Provides hands-on guidance to Plant leadership & Supervisors regarding incident reporting/investigation program to ensure company standards and processes are met.
- Reviews incidents to ensure Root Cause Analysis is completed to prevent reoccurrences and drive corrective actions through health checks.
- Evaluates, monitors, and approves the safe installation or modification of new or existing equipment including application of FLRA and JHA/JSA.
- Applies and uses hierarchy of controls to eliminate hazards and reduce risks in the facility or site.
- Implements, administers, and advises others on hazard control programs for their respective Plant(s).
- Lead coordination of inspections by regulatory agencies, ensure deficiencies are minimized and corrected and present findings and corrections to Plant Manager.
- Maintain all logs and documentation associated with regulatory requirements.
Monitors legislative changes then assesses and makes recommendations based on their potential impact to the business.
- Supports the development of SOPs, JHA/JSA, maintains Plant training calendar and ensures training records are maintained per regulatory requirements.
- Conducts employee safety training for EHS as required using appropriate training materials (hands-on, PowerPoints, props, etc.) and performs safety evaluations, site level self-audits, run site safety committee and ergonomics programs.
- Maintain working relationships with Regulatory Agencies, to include participation in industry specified organization.
- Administer the local hearing conservation program per regulatory requirements and adherence to HIPAA’s Privacy Rule.
- Collaborates with peer group to ensure facility monthly safety inspections are being completed on time.
- Makes recommendations to remedy noted deficiencies.
- In conjunction with Human Resources provides internal support for Workers’ Compensation cases and adherence to HIPAA’s Privacy Rule.
- Conducts new hire safety on-boarding for new employees.
- Maintain metrics in accordance with company requirements.
- Bachelor's degree in Occupational Safety & Health, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or closely related degree required.
- 3 + years prior experience in a manufacturing facility working in an EHS role.
- CSP certification a major plus.
- A team player who can lead by example and influence.
- Sound, comprehensive knowledge of US occupational health, safety, and environmental regulations.
- Detailed understanding of general industry standards and knowledge of basic health and safety concepts such as hazard & risk assessment, behavior-based safety, machine / equipment safety etc.
- The ability to chair meetings and presentations.
- Above average communication skills to enable the transfer of clear and concise information at all levels of the organization.
- The ability to relentlessly follow up to achieve stated deadlines.
- The ability to organize the workload and manage multiple tasks effectively.
- Passion for results, strong work ethic and acts with a sense of urgency and purpose balanced with strategic and day-to-day operational intent.
- Superior analytical skills with the ability to identify problems, resolve issues, mitigate risks, and initiate continuous improvements initiatives.
- Possess the ability to handle multiple priorities and a wide variety of tasks to meet deadlines, all with a sense of urgency.
- Demonstrated leadership and management capabilities with the ability to make decisions under pressure in an environment of rapid change.
- DOT Hazardous Waste Manifest/ RCRA.