FPC of Decatur
Position: HSE Specialist
Direct Reports: Individual Contributor
Reports To: Plant Manager
Salary Range: $85k to $95k
Job Responsibilities: The Health Safety & Environmental Specialist is responsible for the day-to-day creation, implementation, and continuous improvement of Health & Safety programs. The Health Safety and Environmental Specialist position provides technical and professional support services to operations and reports directly to the local Plant Manager and functionally to the Director of Health, Safety & Environment. This is an on the floor (high visibility / floor presence) position.
- This position is responsible for the day-to-day creation, implementation, and continuous improvement of Health & Safety programs.
- Provides technical and professional support services to operations and reports directly to the local Plant Manager and functionally to the Director of Health, Safety & Environment.
- Actively Coaches staff/supervisors / hourly in leadership behaviors to improve communication, safety behaviors and activities on the shop floor to improve and attain a goal of zero incidents.
- Anticipates, identifies, and evaluates hazardous conditions and practices.
- Applies and uses hierarchy of controls to eliminate hazards and reduce risks in the facility or site.
- Implements, administers, and advises others on hazard control programs.
- Plant lead for the proactive application of internal and external standards in support of hazard reduction and compliance.
- Monitors legislative changes and make recommendations based on their potential impact to the business.
- PSM - local subject matter expert, support the development, review/update as needed JHA’s; SOP’s.
- Performs safety evaluations, site level self-audits, run site safety committee and ergonomics programs.
- Performs Instructor led training for HSE courses, as required.
- Maintain working relationships with Regulatory Agencies, to include participation in industry specified organization.
- Provides hands-on guidance to facility managers & supervisors regarding incident reporting/investigation program to ensure company standards and process are met.
- Review incidents, ensure Root Cause Analysis is completed to prevent reoccurrence and drive corrective actions through health checks.
- Maintains facility training calendar and ensures training records are maintained per regulatory requirements.
- Facilitates applicable internal facility safety training using appropriate training materials (hands-on, PowerPoints, props, etc.).
- Implements written EHS programs and company safety policies aligned with jurisdictional requirements.
- Administer the local hearing conservation program per regulatory requirements.
- Works directly with plant leadership to ensure facility monthly safety inspections are being completed.
- Makes recommendations to remedy noted deficiencies.
- Provides internal support for workers’ compensation cases.
- Acts as facility safety contact for work comp claims questions, interfaces with insurance adjusters, medical professionals, and injured workers.
- Managing the plants budgets for health & safety spending.
- Facilitate new hire safety on-boarding for new employees.
- Maintain metrics in accordance with company Leadership requirements.
- Bachelor's degree in Occupational Safety & Health, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or closely related degree required.
- 3 + years prior experience in a manufacturing facility working in an EHS role.
- CSP certification a major plus.
- Proven Leadership skills in a manufacturing environment.
- A team player who can lead by example and influence.
- Sound, Comprehensive knowledge of occupational health, and safety regulations.
- Detailed understanding of general industry standards and knowledge of basic health and safety concepts such as hazard & risk assessment, behavior-based safety, machine / equipment safety etc.
- The ability to chair management/employee meetings and presentations.
- Above average communication skills to enable the transfer of clear and concise information at all levels of the organization.
- The ability to facilitate the process of learning amongst supervisors and the shop floor.