Lake Orion, MI
Senior Battery Electrical Engineer
Senior Battery Electrical Engineer
FPC of Brighton
Full Time-Direct Hire
The Senior Battery Electrical Engineer is responsible for the design, development and execution of core battery electrical system components and assemblies. They are responsible for defining, documenting, designing, and releasing critical electrical systems and interfaces within the battery pack (e.g., cell interconnections & sensing circuitry, high voltage/high current interfaces) and overseeing validation of those components and assemblies. This role is release responsible for the Battery management System (BMS) Hardware.
The Senior Battery Electrical Engineer is comfortable applying technical knowledge to innovative designs, driving resolution of challenges, and taking ownership of new product development activities.
- Apply technical knowledge to the on-time delivery of work products through the product development life cycle for each project.
- Own the design & development of efficient designs for components & sub-assemblies.
- Work in concert with manufacturing engineers in the development of processes & tools supporting manufacture and assembly.
- Component definition, sizing, selection, and design of cell electrical interconnections & bussing, module and pack high current and high voltage electrical interconnections & bussing, fusing, sensing, and control circuitry.
- Commodity responsible engineer for Battery Management System (BMS) Hardware and interfaces to relevant battery subsystems.
- Work closely with Systems Engineers and CAE Engineers to prove out design concepts prior to pack prototype builds.
- Act as a mentor and advisor to Design Release Engineers (DREs) on the team.
- Key contributor to electrical system DFMEAs/PFMEAs, DVP&Rs and Product & Process design reviews.
- Lead supplier evaluation and development for responsible commodities, in collaboration with purchasing.
- Support prototype system builds by ensuring parts are on time and that issues are resolved in a timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Predictable and reliable attendance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent degree.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in high voltage (>350V) electrification product design or product development.
- Proficient in root cause analysis and resolution.
- Adept in data processing and statistical analysis.
- Effective communicator, capable of concisely presenting highly technical data to internal & external customers, as well as effectively communicating with suppliers.
- Experience with PCBA HW / ECU development and troubleshooting, BMS specific experience preferred. Demonstrated understanding of the system operating principles and software functions of said ECU(s) to be an effective interface to Systems and Software Engineering counterparts.
- Experienced with the design, handling, and manufacture of high voltage lithium-ion battery systems.
- Knowledge of EMC/EMI design standards and ability to interpret and troubleshoot test results.
- Educated on common automotive & industry standards.
- Familiar with the product design process.
- Self-motivated problem solver; pays attention to the details.
- Challenges the status quo and strives for continuous improvement.
- Abides by safety standards and protocols.
- Mission, Vision, Values & Strategy: Understands and actively supports the organization’s mission, vision, values and strategic priorities.
- Decision Making & Analysis: Makes sound decisions based upon a mixture of data-driven analysis, expertise, experience, and judgment; collects relevant information, seeks input from others, and identifies connections and/or root causes of problems.
- Takes Initiative: Exhibits strong drive for results and success; conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure; persists despite obstacles and opposition.
- Continual Improvement: Displays a consistent orientation toward producing the highest quality products or services, while keeping a focus on sustainability. Constantly looking for incremental improvements in work processes and results.
- Delivers Results: Achievement oriented, feeling a sense of urgency to reach goals on time, if not before.
- Assertiveness: Exhibits a penchant for maintaining a position when you know you are right without fear or seeking approval and without engaging in unnecessary aggression.
Physical Requirements / Working Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office equipment.
- Ability to adjust focus, especially due to concentration on a computer screen.
- Must be able to maintain attention for long periods of time.
- Occasionally move about in industrial environments, and on uneven terrain.
- Works in a temperature-controlled office environment, with occasional work in outdoor weather conditions, and in industrial environments.
- The noise level in the work environment can be moderately loud.
Why Join Us
We provide a comprehensive benefit plan options at no cost, competitive salary, and equity eligibility to all associates. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace
- Paid time off includes 4 weeks, 15 holidays, and parental leave.
- 100% company-paid medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability life insurance.
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Health Savings Account (HSA) offerings.
- Company provided 401K savings plan with matching contributions to help you save for retirement.
- Voluntary benefits offerings.
- Tuition assistance.
- Employee Referral program.
- Employee development and career growth opportunities.