Lake Orion, MI
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Senior Mechanical Engineer
FPC of Brighton
The Senior Mechanical Engineer is responsible for the design, development and execution of core battery mechanical system components and assemblies. The individual will be responsible for defining, documenting, and designing battery pack and battery module mechanical and thermal components and assemblies, and overseeing validation of those components and assemblies.
An effective candidate is comfortable applying technical knowledge to innovative designs, driving resolution of challenges, and taking ownership of new product development activities.
- Apply technical knowledge to the on-time delivery of work products through the product development life cycle for each project.
- Own the design & development of efficient designs for components & sub-assemblies.
- Work in concert with manufacturing engineers in the development of processes & tools supporting manufacture and assembly.
- Component definition, sizing, selection, and design of battery module & pack mechanical and thermal components (e.g., battery structure, enclosures, injection molded plastics, cooling plates, mechanical joining methods).
- Work closely with Systems Engineers and CAE Engineers to prove out design concepts prior to pack prototype builds.
- Act as a mentor and advisor to Design Release Engineers (DREs) on the team.
- Key contributor to mechanical system DFMEAs/PFMEAs, DVP&Rs and Product & Process design reviews.
- Lead supplier evaluation and development for responsible commodities, in collaboration with purchasing.
- Support prototype system builds by ensuring parts are on time and that issues are resolved in a timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Predictable and reliable attendance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical/Aerospace/Chemical Engineering or equivalent degree with relevant experience.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in high voltage (>350V) electrification product design or product development.
- Proficient in root cause analysis and resolution.
- Proficient in understanding CAE models, including deciphering boundary conditions, assumptions, and model limitations.
- Adept in data processing and statistical analysis.
- Effective communicator, capable of concisely presenting highly technical test data to internal and external customers, as well as effectively communicating with suppliers.
- Experienced with the design, handling, and manufacture of high voltage lithium-ion battery systems.
- Educated on common automotive & industry standards.
- Familiar with the product design process.
- Self-motivated problem solver; pays attention to the details.
- Challenges the status quo and strives for continuous improvement.
- Abides by safety standards and protocols.
- Decision Making & Analysis: Makes sound decisions based upon a mixture of data-driven analysis, expertise, experience, and judgment; collects relevant information, seeking input from others, and identifies connections and/or root causes of problems.
- Takes Initiative: Exhibits strong drive for results and success; conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure; persists despite obstacles and opposition.
- Continual Improvement: Displays a consistent orientation toward producing the highest quality products or services, while keeping a focus on sustainability. Constantly looking for incremental improvements in work processes and results.
- Delivers Results: Achievement oriented, feeling a sense of urgency to reach goals on time, if not before.
- Mission, Vision, Values, and Strategic Priorities Focused: Understands and actively supports the organization’s mission, vision, values, and strategic priorities.